Director of Communications and
SeaWeb, an international ocean communications organization, seeks a communications professional to lead its Washington, D.C. office. Responsibilities include overseeing all aspects of operations and administration for SeaWeb's central office, directing communications strategies and managing a team of professionals. This is a full-time exempt position with a generous benefits package. The start date is immediate.
SeaWeb is the only international, nonprofit organization exclusively dedicated to strategically communicating about ocean issues. SeaWeb uses the science of communications to convince people to take greater responsibility for ocean health. To accomplish this important goal, SeaWeb convenes forums where economic, policy, social and environmental interests converge to improve ocean health.
SeaWeb transforms knowledge into action by shining a spotlight on workable, science-based solutions to the most serious threats facing the ocean. SeaWeb works collaboratively with targeted sectors and stakeholders such as journalists, scientists and industry to encourage and advance market solutions, policies and behaviors that result in a healthy, thriving ocean. By informing and empowering diverse ocean voices and conservation champions, SeaWeb is enabling a culture of ocean conservation. SeaWeb envisions a world where all people act on the belief that a healthy ocean is vital to human life and essential to a sustainable future.
The Director of Communications and Organizational Effectiveness (Director) provides leadership, oversight and management for the Silver Spring office. The Director supervises the communications team to execute SeaWeb's internal and external communications, media, web and online outreach and campaign goals, as well as oversees office operations including SeaWeb's administrative, IT and human resource functions. The Director reports to the President and will be responsible for internal processes and enhancing relationships with SeaWeb’s partners.
- Oversees and contributes to the development and execution of SeaWeb’s media and outreach strategy.
- Leads a team of communications professionals in both internal and external outreach efforts.
- Responsible for ensuring effective messaging in all external communications, such as donor and partner communications, press releases, email outreach, pitch letters, op-eds, and other tools to engage SeaWeb audiences.
- Manages internal communications mechanisms and approaches to ensure effective staff engagement and operations.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with key journalists, bloggers, and social media thought leaders.
- Manages and prioritizes media and communications support to internal SeaWeb teams as necessary.
- Oversees, coordinates, and evaluates metrics for new marketing and outreach activities for campaigns, including Web site and other internet tools, such as Google Analytics Campaigns, Goals and Adwords for NonProfits; SEO; Facebook Insights; email A/B testing; and results tracking and analysis, and mobile Web
- Creates and manages media events to achieve program and/or campaign goals.
- Works with other program leads to ensure effective media/social marketing elements of issue-specific campaign efforts.
- Oversees management of a comprehensive, cost-effective, efficient media tracking system.
- Builds relationships with conservation, government, and industry representatives.
- Work in collaboration with the Development team to ensure effective message delivery in grant proposals, reports, letters of inquiry and other donor correspondence, as well as the grants management process.
- Develops and manages budget for the communications team and assists in organizational budget development and oversight.
- Assumes responsibility for other specific projects as assigned.
Human Resources and Operations & Administration
The Director leads and advises the Operations Team on the following operational and human resources related topics. In this capacity, the director devises strategies and methods that improve the efficiency of SeaWeb processes.
- Supervises the Operations team, interns and volunteers:
- Works with Operations Team to ensure that all equipment, furniture and IT needs of organization are provided as necessary.
- Works with Operations Manager to oversee office leases and subtenant arrangements; negotiates reasonable lease terms.
- Works with Operations Manager to manage transition for departing employees to ensure that they receive all required separation information and have the opportunity to evaluate their employment at SeaWeb.
- Develops operational and human resources strategies and processes:
- Ensures policies and processes (payroll, insurance, benefits) are in compliance with legal (domestic and international) and other requirements; assesses employment conditions, policies and procedures for consistency and equity;
- Directs necessary updates to SeaWeb’s personnel manual and operations manual; ensures these documents are comprehensive and compliant with labor laws in all regions where SeaWeb has employees.
- Reviews and approves annual benefit contracts, ensuring adequate benefits are provided to employees, maintains proficiency on program to keep employees informed of changes.
- Oversees employee performance evaluation process for organization.
- Advises on administration of consulting contracts and corporate insurance policies to ensure adequate coverage.
- Advises on vendor relations processes.
- Serves as liaison with SeaWeb’s legal counsel on all legal matters for the organization.
- Works to promote a favorable work environment.
- Responsible for oversight of Silver Spring office.
- Degree in Communications, non-profit management or related field, with an advanced degree preferred.
- Ten years of media, communications, public relations and/or campaign experience.
- Seven years of organizational management experience, including oversight of finance, human resources and office management functions, and five years of supervisory and management experience.
- Understanding of and appreciation for the science of communications and social marketing.
- Familiarity and competency with traditional and social media strategies.
- Strong financial management and budget development skills and familiarity with foundation and government funding requirements.
- Experience as a working journalist or public relations professional is highly desired.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and execute multiple responsibilities under tight deadlines and handle sensitive matters with discretion, exercise good judgment and maintain high ethical standards.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and commitment to high quality work products.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong grasp of principles of web information architecture, interface design, and usability
- Hands-on experience using digital technologies to communicate and inspire
- Strong project management and administrative skills.
- Computer literacy, knowledge of Microsoft Office and Mac operating systems and web communications software.
- Willingness to work extended hours to fulfill job duties and expectations when required.
- Experience providing ‘customer service’ or ‘client relations’ is highly desired.
- Willingness to travel.
- Knowledge of applicable labor laws and filing requirements of various states and countries; ability to research labor law provisions in new areas as required.
- Passion for marine conservation issues and working in non-profit environment is a must.
- Efficient team player with a positive attitude and superior interpersonal skills to be able to enthusiastically lead staff.
- Ability to create and implement new administrative policies and procedures as needed.
- Creativity in designing staff development activities to enhance SeaWeb as a workplace and build staff morale.
To apply: Please submit letter of interest, resume and three references to HR@seaweb.org with Director of Communications and Organizational Effectiveness in the subject line. Please include salary requirements in the letter of interest. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. No phone calls please.
Applications are strongly encouraged from candidates reflecting diverse educational, cultural and experiential backgrounds. We encourage applications from women, people with disabilities, people of diverse ethnic, racial, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, educational and work experiences, geographic and national origins, sexual orientations and ages.
SeaWeb is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about SeaWeb, visit our Web site at www.seaweb.org